27 Aug 160 Days to Iowa
As we head into the final quarter of 2019, many organizations have to determine one major item: budget. Departments and heads of offices meet to decide on budget plans and what will be needed for the following year.
2020 is a presidential election year, and most budgets will be bolstered to support PAC and grassroots efforts for their employees across the country. However, instead of focusing on November 3, 2020, Election Day, companies should allocate a substantial amount of their budget to the primaries. The Democratic primary debates are already underway, some candidates are bowing out and the first primaries start with Iowa on February 3, 2020, just 160 days from today.
It’s never too early to start educating your employees on the election.
March 3 will be Super Tuesday. A whopping 14 states have their primaries on this date. It’s important to know if your employees have the opportunity to vote on this date and ensure they’re prepared to participate.
How can you prepare? Here is a short list to get you started:
Send Email Communications
Once you have your own 2020 Election calendar, you have all of the content you need for employee communications. Segment your list and schedule emails for each primary. Topics for your emails include:
- Make Sure You’re Registered to Vote – The Voter Registration Deadline in your State is XX/XX/XX
- Two Weeks Until the Primary!
- Tomorrow is the Primary!
The more you educate your employees on the primaries, the more likely the turnout for your industry. Employees will appreciate the knowledge, and it helps address the extra steps of registering before the general elections.
Host Voter Education Booths
A Get Out the Vote (GOTV) booth at your locations does wonders for voter registration. It’s an opportunity to meet employees in person and educate them on the upcoming primary election. The point isn’t to tell them who to vote for, just that they CAN vote twice in year. Also, it gives you the opportunity to promote your PAC and grassroots programs.
720 Strategies plays a major role in every election year. By partnering with a major trade association, 720 Strategies has hosted a GOTV booth for 50+ of their member company facilities across the U.S in 2016 and 2018. That number will increase this year.
What should be at your GOTV booth?
- A laptop and tablet displaying the state election office website: All state election office websites offer multiple resources for citizens in their state. Employees have the opportunity to find their polling place, confirm their registration status, etc.
- Voter registration tool/voter registration applications: Some employees may have moved since the last election and haven’t updated their registration. Having copies of the state voter registration application will help get them started. If you have an online advocacy tool, display it in your computer and have your employees start the registration process on the spot. Keep a tally of how many people picked up an application or filled one out online. It’s important to keep track of these metrics so you can measure the impact of your company’s booth.
- Absentee ballot applications: Sometimes your employees will be on work travel or on vacation and unable to vote on the primary election day. You can help them sign up to vote via absentee ballot. The first step is filling out an absentee ballot application and mailing it to the state county election office. Having these documents handy makes it easy for your employees, and they’ll appreciate you helped them with the first step.
- Palm cards or information sheets: These items should show key election dates and information (voter registration deadline, absentee ballot information due date, early voting, etc.). They can keep these in their office or simply share them with family or friends.
Remember, as you plan for your 2020 goals and budget, make engaging in the primary elections in a meaningful way one of your primary goals. 720 Strategies has the experience to plan and execute your GOTV events in the upcoming year. If you would like to partner with us and launch an event, please contact us.